Sunday, May 11, 2014

The Garden that Resonated with Me Most

Before this class, I never really put much thought into what goes into gardens and the significance they have had throughout history, especially in Europe. As we learned about each type, I always found a feature I enjoyed in each one. Each type of garden was unique and had a different character and feel to it. Even though I liked all the gardens we studied, it was when we came upon the English landscape garden that I found my favorite.


Most of the other gardens were very beautiful and intricate but the English landscape garden took a much different approach. Contrary to the styles that came before it, it was made to look as though man did not play a role in the creation of it. The focus was on the “natural” beauty that could “only come from nature itself”. I really enjoy places that have a view and I thought that it was interesting and beautiful that the landscape designers used the borrowed views to extend the garden far beyond the actual bounds. When I think about what a garden should be and what I enjoy about being in a garden is that you are able to escape into nature. The English landscape garden was the one that I thought was able to communicate that.


I found it so interesting to be able to study all the different types of gardens that Europe has to offer. Each and every one was beautiful and unique. Although I enjoyed all of them, I felt that the English landscape garden really represented what I thought a garden should be about. It was a place to go and enjoy what nature looked like and even though it was still man made, I felt that it accomplished that.


For more information on the English Landscape Garden, check out this link:

http://www.gardenvisit.com/history_theory/library_online_ebooks/ml_gothein_history_garden_art_design/english_landscape_garden_designers

Photo Links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_landscape_garden

http://traveltrales.wordpress.com/category/natural-britain/

http://www.historyextra.com/feature/english-landscape-garden




1 comment:

  1. Your comments about the English landscape gardens were very insightful and interesting. Before this class I was not aware of this style of garden. Why do you think this style might not be as well known? And do you think there are enough English landscape gardens out there or should there be more?

    ReplyDelete